Thursday, March 26, 2009

Part II: Race Photos From 10th Annual Gateway Bank and Trust 5K Communities in Schools Run

Winner of the race, backlit.


These are the higher contrast photos I was configured to take at the race; they're the ones I prefer. I think maybe next time I'll come up with a short roll for the winners of the race that we can develop in D-76, or just do my own thing and let "the Zones fall where they may." Here are the photos.


Runner.  
I liked the flatness of the white highlights in the sweater; this person had a suntan, and it brought out some contrast to the figure.

Runner.
You may notice this frame from our other post on the race.  As you can see, there is a dramatic difference in the level of detail printed in the softer contrast version.  I prefer this one.  I liked the interplay of light; and, we still have some shadow detail in the drapery of the sweater, and a facial profile.

Young Man Running.
Even with the motion blur, I think the enthusiasm this person has is still evident.  There's something about the way this person carried himself that spoke to a generally good, positive effort.

Young Woman Running.
This one was similar to one of the other runners, above.  But, with the higher arm swing, I think we can still see that she is running.


Couple Running.
This woman and man were jogging together.  There was something about their positioning in the frame that made them seem like they were together.

Swishy Haired Woman.
This was by far my favorite of the black and white photos that I made that morning.  I got lucky, and caught the wisps of her hair as they bounced along with her run.  This is an example of a detail that I did not notice until I developed the negatives.  I once read a question about, If photos were found or made; for me, it's both; this is a found photo.  I didn't notice the hair until I labbed the negs in the DEV tank.  This is another one of the photos that I pulled for the other post; I think it was about five stops lighter in the other.  

People Running.
This was actually one of the few deliberately composed shots that morning.  Many, many of the pictures, particularly the individual runner's portraits, were done in rapid snap dolly shots with a 300mm on the 645.  This one occurred during one of the lulls between waves of runners; sometimes they settle into small groups as they run; I was able to stop and think for a moment, and notice the shadows.  I wanted the diagonal shadows on the concrete along with the subject people.  

Well, that's about it for the 10th Annual Gateway Bank and Trust Communities in Schools Run photos.  I'm thinking about photographing some more races, although I think I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably just make my shots as they are and live with it.  Hope you enjoyed the photographs.  

There is one more roll of E-6 Ektachrome color slide that maybe I'll put up in a few days.  J.


No comments:

Post a Comment